“Christ went more willingly to the cross than we do to the throne of Grace” – Thomas Watson
Delivered to the Saints-
Salvation by Christ
Salvation (a saving, deliverance, preservation, safety) Soteria (soteriology) – Saved from Gods Wrath (the punishment for sin).
Election – even as He chose us, in him, before the foundation of the world. Ephesians 1:4
- God Elects/Predestines us based on His own good will (romans 9:11, though they have done nothing either good or bad, 9:20 molded to molder, why have you made me like this.)
Effectual calling – “To this He called you through our gospel, so that you may obtain the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.” 2 Thessalonians 2:14
- God calls us at His appointed time to salvation which we cannot resist ( John 6:65: “No one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father.”
Belief in the gospel – “But to all who did receive Him, who believed in His name, He gave the right to become children of God.” John 1:12
- We Believe in the Gospel message.
- “For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures,4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures,5 and that he appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve.6 Then he appeared to more than five hundred brothers at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have fallen asleep.7 Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles.8 Last of all, as to one untimely born, he appeared also to me.” 1 Corinthians 15:3-8
Repentance – “As it is, I rejoice, not because you were grieved, but because you were grieved into repenting. For you felt a godly grief, so that you suffered no loss through us, for godly grief produces a repentance that leads to salvation without regret, whereas worldly grief produces death.” 2 Corinthians 7:9-10
- Turning towards Christ (confession) and away From sin.
Regeneration – “Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God.” 1 John 5:1
- A renewed person. Changed desires from your own, to God’s.
Union with Christ – “I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.”Galatians 2:20
- As the husband as wife has been united with each other, we are also united with Christ.
- Us in Christ, Christ in us.
Justification – “In his days Judah will be saved, and Israel will dwell securely. And this is the name by which he will be called: ‘The Lord is our righteousness.’” Jeremiah 23:6
- God accepting sinners to be Just by the “penal substitutionary” atonement.
- We are imputed with Christ’s righteousness (One act of righteousness leads to justification and life for all men Romans 5:18)
- God Forgets our sins. Isaiah 43:25
Sanctification – (progressive) “are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.” 2 Corinthians 3:18
- We are transformed more and more to the likeness of Christ throughout our lives.
Preservation – “who by God’s power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.” 1 Peter 1:5
- God seals and preserves our salvation. (John 10:28-29: “I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand.”) (phil 1:6;1 pet 1:5;Jer 32:40)
- “Are we to continue to sin that grace may abound?” (Rom 6:1)
Glorification – “and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.” Romans 8:17
- Glorified as Christ was Glorified (“for those he justified he also glorified.” Rom 8:30)
- Completion upon our death.
- Glorified Body, and inward holiness.